Re: [Exim] Root is user in Envelope

Startseite
Nachricht löschen
Nachricht beantworten
Autor: Kevin Reed
CC: Kevin Reed
Betreff: Re: [Exim] Root is user in Envelope
Told to us by Phil Pennock (Phil.Pennock@???)
on Sun, Jan 13, 2002 at 07:57:31AM +0100

> On 2002-01-12 at 23:48 -0700, Kevin Reed wrote:
> > The remote admin uses a generic email address admin@???
> > which the MUA on the box forces when he sends email.
> >
> > Exim is it proper operation, sees that adminr = root and sets the
> > envelope of the outgoing message to root even though the From:
> > address is admin@???.
>
> Look up the "trusted_users" option. Given how you've described the
> admin/adminr accounts, this would seem to make sense. In fact, look at
> admin_users too.

This would work if I was calling exim directly, but from the MUA it
didn't make a difference. However.. it was a mute point.

> > Many MTA's reject this mail as they don't take email from root.
>
> They're broken. Complain to their postmaster.

You are right. I did complain to myself. I was sending mail to
another server that had once acted as a Virtual host for this same
domain. It was rejecting the To: address, not the From address, the
wording however made it not clear.

> > Question... Is it possible to change Exim's configuration so that IF
> > the outgoing mail is from adminr, it uses either adminr or the From:
> > address as the envelope.
>
> trusted_users/trusted_groups give a number of privileges to the listed
> users/groups, including the ability to set anything for the From: header
> and the envelope from.

Thanks for the quick response... Helped me figure out the problem
faster.

--
Kevin