Re: [Exim] Rewriting From: for mailinglist?

Startseite
Nachricht löschen
Nachricht beantworten
Autor: Dave C.
To: Oliver Dawid
CC: exim-users
Betreff: Re: [Exim] Rewriting From: for mailinglist?

On Fri, 11 Jan 2002, Oliver Dawid wrote:

> On Thu, 10 Jan 2002, dman wrote:
>
> > mutt works great on both :-). So does gnus, or so I've heard.
> >
> > (those are the only mailers that I know of that understand the concept
> > of a mailing list)
>
> pine does too somehow.

The 'somehow' is that it notes that the To: address is not your personal
address, and when you reply to the message it asks (although this can be
turned off and made to be the default without asking) wether you want to
"reply to all recpients", and it also sends to the address(es) that were
on the To: and CC: lines.

If you want to reply to some of the addresses but not all, you can
always say 'Yes', and then remove the addresses that you dont want to
send to from the pre-filled To: line. You should always look at the To:
line anyway, before sending any message or reply, to make sure its
really addressed to who/what you think it is..

If you have multiple personal addresses that you normally wouldnt want
to reply to, you can add them to a setting in pine, and it will supress
them from those it chooses addresses to reply to.

> > Alright, not an easy task to convince Lookout users that other tools
> > really do exist ;-).

I mentioned in a private message to dman that even MS Outlook (and
Outlook Express) *DO* in fact support this function via the aptly
labeled "Reply To All" button (which is usually right next to the "Reply
To Sender" button.) -- teach your MS users to hit that button to direct
replies to the list instead of just the author - in the end you will
have a more usable list, and smarter users.

> no comment (-:
>
> thanks for your code.
>
> > OTOH this may be even more confusing to people if replying to some
> > messages go to the list and others go to the sender (his reply-to
> > addr).
>
> hmmm may be. well, i have about 20 to 30 people on that list. i guess, i
> can handle it.

Better to educate now them to be better internet citizens and learn how
to use their mail client and mailing lists properly, than by giving them
a crutch that later, when they use some other properly setup mailing
list, wont be there and will confuse them.