Re: [Exim] Rewriting From: for mailinglist?

Author: dman
To: exim-users
On Thu, Jan 10, 2002 at 02:25:03AM +0100, Oliver Dawid wrote:
| hi,

| i am new to exim. maybe this question is rather simple, but after reading
| for hours and testing some filter rules i have no idea how to solve this
| problem.

| i want to rewrite the From: line in the header of mails that are sent to a
| mailinglist so that i just can reply to tha message and the mail goes to
| the list and not to the person who sent that mail.

No, No, No, and No! Don't do that! If you do that, how will you ever
know who wrote the message? And suppose you (at some point in time)
want to talk to them in private? (not everyone puts their name at the
end of a message, and many people do not put their email at the end of
a message (duh! it's in the From: header :-))).

In the worst-case scenario you can include (or butcher) a Reply-To:
header so that replying goes to the list by default.  Before you do
that, however, read
and consider upgrading to a mailer that comprehends mailing lists.
The problem is an end-user tool (MUA) problem, not a MTA problem.

HAND,
-D

--

"Don't use C; In my opinion, C is a library programming language
not an app programming language." - Owen Taylor (GTK+ developer)