Re: [Exim] Authentication/Relay problems

Author: Vadim Vygonets
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] Authentication/Relay problems
Quoth Matthew Daubenspeck on Sat, Jan 05, 2002:

> >Do they really authenticate? Try to run 'exim -bh' with their IP
> >address and authenticate manually. Can you relay then?
>
> I'm kind of a newbie here, so please bear with me.

I do, but still, run 'exim -bh <ip address>'.

> I manually connected
> with the above and tried to relay without authentication. It didn't work.
> Whew! :)

Although the host was in hosts_accept_relay?

> I'm not sure exactly what steps to add for authentication. I tried AUTH
> LOGIN and I got some garbage back, which I assumed was 'Username' encrypted
> (from exim.conf). Again I would assume that my client would send the actual
> username in return, encrypted as well. How do I encrypt that name to test
> it? Just sending it manually did not do anything.

Read the chapter about authentication in the Exim manual, it has
commands for encoding and decoding Base64 strings.

> >Is authentication logged for them?
>
> Would that be included in mainlog? I stepped through and it doesn't say
> anything specifically about authentication, so I'm not sure.

Dunno.

> Thanks a million for your help.

You're welcome hundreds of thousands ;)

Vadik.

--
Real software engineers don't debug programs, they verify correctness.
This process doesn't necessarily involve execution of anything on a