Re: [Exim] Re: incorrect host reported in HELO

Author: dman
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] Re: incorrect host reported in HELO
On Sat, Jan 05, 2002 at 05:24:55PM +0800, Suresh Ramasubramanian wrote:
| +++ Derek Broughton [exim-users] <04/01/02 13:57 -0500>:
| > Suresh Ramasubramanian wrote:
| > >That'd force it to use what you set it as - but if not, the value from
| > >uname will be used.
| > >So am still stumped how you are EHLOing as localhost.

| > That can't be quite right. On my system, i don't have primary_hostname
| > set, and:
| > derek@casio:~$ uname -n
| > casio
| > derek@casio:~$ telnet localhost 25

| Quoting from the default exim configure file -

| # Specify your host's canonical name here. This should normally be the fully
| # qualified "official" name of your host. If this option is not set, the
| # uname() function is called to obtain the name.

The spec says that if uname returns only one part, then
gethostbyname() is used instead. On my system uname() returns "dman"
as the node name, and there is no domainname element in the struct.
gethostbyname() returns "localhost" if it is first in /etc/hosts or
"dman.ddts.net" if it is first.

The (correct) fix is to put the external name first on the "127.0.0.1"
line in /etc/hosts.

-D

--

Consider what God has done:
    Who can straighten what He has made crooked?