Re: [Exim] Exim on a single-user system

Startseite
Nachricht löschen
Nachricht beantworten
Autor: Vadim Vygonets
To: exim-users
Betreff: Re: [Exim] Exim on a single-user system
Quoth Matthew Byng-Maddick on Fri, Jan 04, 2002:
> On Fri, Jan 04, 2002 at 02:35:23AM +0200, Vadim Vygonets wrote:
> > Agreed, and I've seen it happen. Mail should NEVER be lost.
>
> Yes.
>
> > Unless it's an undeliverable bounce message, or is explicitly
>
> An undeliverable bounce should go to a postmaster, or should at least
> stay frozen (in exim, anyway) and notify the postmaster.

Most undeliverable bounces we have are for spam to unknown users
sent from forged addresses. When you have a lot of users, it
becomes impossible to view all undeliverable bounces.

> > blackholed, that is. What I mean is: mail from a real human to a
> > real human should NEVER be lost.
>
> Explicitly blackholed can be wrong too. Look at the AOL case...

What AOL case?

> > > This is a good reason for NOT using SMTP delivery, IMO.
> > Or implementing it correctly, including some sort of queue. Mutt
>
> In which case you become an MTA.

Well, I wouldn't call a correctly implemented SMTP client an MTA.

Of course, I agree that every UNIX system must have an MTA, and
that most of them should just send all they get to the smarthost.

Vadik.

--
Science is what happens when preconception meets verification.