Re: [Exim] Header Data

Author: Matthew Byng-Maddick
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] Header Data
On Thu, Jan 03, 2002 at 09:04:51AM -0500, Joseph Kezar wrote:
> I now know that it doesn't block on the From: header field but on the
> "envelope sender".

Right.

> I have spam coming in with these headers, how do I determine the
> "envelope sender" and how can I stop this message from getting into my
> email server

The return-path is the one which describes where the bounce would go to,
and hence the envelope sender, although I can't actually find this
referenced anywhere in the online documentation.

The relevant paragraph, however, is this, from RFC2821:
| 4.4 Trace Information

[...]
|    When the delivery SMTP server makes the "final delivery" of a
|    message, it inserts a return-path line at the beginning of the mail
|    data.  This use of return-path is required; mail systems MUST support
|    it.  The return-path line preserves the information in the <reverse-
|    path> from the MAIL command.  Here, final delivery means the message
|    has left the SMTP environment.  Normally, this would mean it had been
|    delivered to the destination user or an associated mail drop, but in
|    some cases it may be further processed and transmitted by another
|    mail system.

And in RFC821 (S4.1.1):

|         DATA (DATA)

[...]
|            When the receiver-SMTP makes the "final delivery" of a
|            message it inserts at the beginning of the mail data a
|            return path line.  The return path line preserves the
|            information in the <reverse-path> from the MAIL command.
|            Here, final delivery means the message leaves the SMTP
|            world.  Normally, this would mean it has been delivered to
|            the destination user, but in some cases it may be further
|            processed and transmitted by another mail system.

So not much has changed, just a slight clarification on it being
necessary for an SMTP server to support its addition.

[headers snipped]

It might also be worth your while doing this?

MBM