Re: FW: Re: [Exim] Exim on a single-user system

Startseite
Nachricht löschen
Nachricht beantworten
Autor: dman
To: exim-users
Betreff: Re: FW: Re: [Exim] Exim on a single-user system
On Wed, Jan 02, 2002 at 09:49:47AM -0500, Derek Broughton wrote:
| Vadim Vygonets wrote:
| >Quoth Pete Barnwell on Tue, Jan 01, 2002:
| >
| >>The only snag with having a MTA set up 'out of the box' is that it can't
| >>be setup correctly (unless the packager's mastered ESP ;-)); having an
| >>misconfigured MTA is probably worse than not having one at all, and you
| >>can guarantee that however good the install/config routine is some
| >>lusers simply won't know what to put in the fields.
| >>

| >Debian did something like that, though I don't know whether it
| >was successful.

| eximconfig. It works, but it is not 'out of the box'. It asks you the
| important questions that Pete points out the package maintainer can't
| know the answers to. If the installer doesn't know the answers either,
| you have a seriously broken MTA. :-(

It works almost out-of-the-box. I think that there should be a little
bit less information asked of newbies, but eximconfig is good once you
understand how SMTP works and the terminology of the various
components. Ideally there should be eximconfig-newbie that only asks
the same thing those windows mailers ask (remote host name, your name,
your password).

If you want step-by-step answers for the questions (to set up a
smarthost with local delivery) look in the debian-user archives. I
posted it twice.

-D

--

Your beauty should not come from outward adornment, such as braided hair
and the wearing of gold jewelry and fine clothes.  Instead, it should be