Re: [Exim] Exim on a single-user system

Top Pagina
Auteur: Derek Broughton
Aan: exim-users
Onderwerp: Re: [Exim] Exim on a single-user system
dman wrote:

> Here's the problem. A MUA should not be dealing with SMTP -- an MTA
> should. mutt (and, AFAIK, elm and pine) do not do SMTP at all.
> Instead they pipe the message to the system's MTA and let it take
> responsibility for delivering it.

That hair needs an electron microscope to split. :-)

I can't imagine any good reason why an MUA shouldn't deal with SMTP. In
fact, as configured, SMTP on localhost is usually your MTA. It makes
much more sense for every MUA to assume it has access to an SMTP port on
_some_ host than to assume that it will have access to an MTA program.
I don't think I want just anybody able to execute sendmail or exim.
--
derek