Re: [Exim] Relaying in Exim 3.12

Author: Tabor J. Wells
To: Steve Meier
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] Relaying in Exim 3.12
On Fri, Dec 28, 2001 at 11:21:33AM +0100,
Steve Meier <steve@???> is thought to have said:

> I am encountering problems with relay control in Exim 3.12.
>
> Two of our customers use this version and their mailservers
> are blacklisted at ORDB and ORBZ.
>
> Exim 3.12 obviously allows relaying in the following setup:
>
> Hostname e.g.: mail.customer.com
> Envelope-Sender: <postmaster@???>
>
> Is this problem fixed in any newer version of Exim ? Can I
> recommend our customers to update ?

Exim 3.12 only allows relaying if the config file is specifically set to
do so. In other words this can be solved by fixing the broken configs.

See the howto on the website (http://www.exim.org/howto/relay.html) or read
section 46.4 of the specification which talks about relaying in detail. I
don't believe that anything has changed in the relay controls between 3.12
and the current release (3.34). As an aside 3.12 is over 2 yrs and you might
want to push your users to upgrade anyway. Especially since there is a
potential security problem with that release (and all others through 3.33). See
http://www.exim.org/mailman/htdig/exim-users/Week-of-Mon-20011217/033294.html
for details on that and a patch against 3.12 if you'd rather patch that
version.

Tabor

Tabor J. Wells                                     twells@???
Fsck It!                 Just another victim of the ambient morality