Re: [Exim] Re: TLS Problem

Author: Derek Broughton
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] Re: TLS Problem
Matthew Byng-Maddick wrote:

> however. This technique of using STARTTLS doesn't ensure privacy, and
> anyone who claims it does is, IMNSHO, being a complete and utter clueless
> dork.

Of course not, but what is possibly lost by using it? I don't use TLS,
I haven't felt a need to encrypt my personal email, but really, if you
can make the connection between your system and the next one even a
little more secure, isn't that a good thing? Are you seriously trying to
tell me that attempting to use TLS with a host with which you have no
prior agreement will be LESS secure than not using it?

> As I've said before, if you want to capture the mail, there are generally
> enough other ways, that it doesn't guarantee any sort of privacy.

If you want guarantees... well there aren't any guarantees in life. We
just do what we can.

derek