Re: [Exim] Bug in compiling 3.34

Author: George R Kasica
To: Phil Pennock
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] Bug in compiling 3.34
>On 2001-12-25 at 19:51 -0600, George R . Kasica wrote:
>> Just tried to compile 3.34 here under linux and am seeing the
>
>"linux" is a kernel. Which distribution are you using?

Phil:

I'm very aware linux is actually an OS/and or kernel, and for the info
your asking: it WAS Caldera a long time ago but over the last 3 years
with enhancements and upgrades is more generic than Caldera now.

>(It's times like this when I _really_ sympathise with Richard Stallman)
>
>RedHat? Debian GNU/Linux? SuSE? Mandrake? Something else?

see above

>The output of "uname -a" (or at least "uname -srm") is generally useful.

Linux eagle.netwrx1.com 2.4.13 #1 Sat Oct 27 14:59:40 CDT 2001 i686
unknown

>> following bug when I do the make....I'm using the same Makefile and
>> Local directories as 3.33 which compiles just fine....
>
>A bug is a problem with the code when built, assuming that the target
>platform conforms to basic common requirements. You haven't even built
>it yet, so _if_ there is a bug, then it's a Makefile one.

Sorry again for not being as PRECISE as yourself, a Makefile Bug
possibly.

>> Here is the output of make (some up to dates as I've run it multiple
>> times):
>
>Something strange here.
>
>> >make[1]: Entering directory `/mnt/scsi-1/Linux/exim-3.34/build-Linux-i386'
>
>So that's an OS type (scripts/os-type) of "Linux". And
>OS/Makefile-Linux explicitly sets "LIBRESOLV = -lresolv"

...stuff deleted...

>> >  -ldb -lresolv  -rdynamic  -L/usr/local/lib /usr/local/lib/perl5/5.6.1/i686-lin
>          ^^^^^^^^
>So you have -lresolv after dns.o on the command-line, so any resolver
>functions should be found.

>And they're not. So the resolver functions aren't being linked to. So
>you're using a really strange set-up, not like any other modern Linux.

I don't think its THAT strange, other code has compiled just fine in
the past including 3.33.

>At this point, we _really_ need to know more about the system you're
>building on, what version of glibc you're using (or if you're using a
>different libc), etc. You simply haven't provided enough information.

glibc 2.1.1

>Which distribution? Which version of that distribution? If you're
>using bash, what's the exact output of:
>$ ldd `type -p host`

Again, its pretty generic, used to Be Caldera OpenLinux 2.3

[root@eagle /lib]# ldd `type -p host`
        libc.so.6 => /usr/local/lib/libc.so.6 (0x40015000)

George

George, MR. Tibbs, Nazerene & The Beast Kasica(8/1/88-3/19/01)
Jackson, WI USA
georgek@???
http://www.netwrx1.com/georgek
ICQ #12862186