[Exim] Oops...700K To: headers

Top Pagina
Auteur: John W Baxter
Aan: exim-users
Onderwerp: [Exim] Oops...700K To: headers
An educator in our fair county has succeeded in sending a message with a
700K To: header. (It looks as if he tacked several lists together: one of
the targets has his address appear 12 times in the Envelope To: header of
the delivered message. It's also possible that the sending server creates
the duplicate RCPT TO:s because of the long header line.)

The school's server is faithfully pumping out the message every 20
minutes--for a few days now-- (without noticing that we've been accepting
it). December break time, so there's no one to call. SIGH. [Actually, I
do know the sysadmin of a different district in the county...I suspect he
knows the person to call. If he's around.]

System filter to the rescue, with the fail text suggesting BCC: rather than
To: (he's lucky: we only send back 8K of a bounced message).

The school's server did stop sending the message to us once it got the
first bounce from us.

--John

--
John Baxter   jwblist@???      Port Ludlow, WA, USA