[Exim] pipe v. autoreply v. ... ?

Author: Paul Makepeace
To: exim-users
Subject: [Exim] pipe v. autoreply v. ... ?
I'd like a scheme whereby a particular mail address will process the
contents of the mail and reply to the user that sent the original mail.
The body of this reply would contain information based on the original
mail. (What I'm trying to do is provide an email address people can send
attachments which then end up on the Web. The variable data in the reply
is the URL(s) of their original attachment(s).)

So, autoreply seems closest but its reply info seems restricted by
either coming out of a file or a small amount of text -- I don't see how
to return variable data with ${perl}. pipe on the other hand will return
the program's output but fundamentally seems to treat any output from
the spawned program's output as failure info.

The only other alternative I can see is if the pipe'd program
subsequently sends its own independent mail (back again). This doesn't
seem as "neat".

What's the recommended way here?

Thanks,
Paul

--
Paul Makepeace ....................................... http://paulm.com/

"If he were here now, then we must face defeat."
-- http://paulm.com/toys/surrealism/