Re: [Exim] Exim and IBM DB2

Etusivu
Poista viesti
Vastaa
Lähettäjä: Nigel Metheringham
Päiväys:
Vastaanottaja: Philip Hazel
Kopio: Exim Users Mailing List
Aihe: Re: [Exim] Exim and IBM DB2
On Wed, 2001-12-19 at 11:18, Philip Hazel wrote:
> On 19 Dec 2001, Nigel Metheringham wrote:
>
> > Have you looked at the sendmail milter interface at all?
>
> Not really.

There's an overview etc at
http://www.sendmail.com/partner/resources/development/milter_api/

Basically its a way of defining a set of callbacks on various SMTP
operations (on incoming mail). As such thats quite nice and generic,
but there appear to be some nasty sendmailisms in there too which would
be hard to easily support (some could be remapped), ie there are hooks
to get sendmail variables by "name" (ie single letters), so to get the
queue id you do something like a getsymval('{i}')

It looks to me as though we might be able to support a subsection of it,
as long as the slightly different process models of sendmail/exim don't
preclude this. This would give us an advantage in that a number of
virus scanner like applications would be able to just plug into exim
exactly as they now do so for sendmail, and would give us prebuilt
filter support in C, perl and python.

ie see
http://www.bmsi.com/python/milter.html

which also has some other explanatory info on milter.

> I presume that C code could be written to interface to milter, unless
> its API is extraordinarily contorted. In which case, somebody other than
> I can write the code, and it can be incorporated into Exim using the
> local_scan() C function.

I think its going to be worth looking at this... now I just need that
time machine...

    Nigel.