Re: [Exim] list server recommendation

Top Pagina
Auteur: Nigel Metheringham
Aan: chris
CC: exim-users
Onderwerp: Re: [Exim] list server recommendation
On Tue, 2001-12-18 at 23:01, Chris Goh wrote:
> I initially looked at Mailman, but the FAQs mentioned that it works poorly
> on systems supporting lists in several different mail domains.

It depends whether you need your lists to be confined to their domains
and/or whether you have the same list id in several domains.

For example, the exim.org box also serves wylug.org.uk, and you will
find that you can actually send mail to exim-users@??? and it
might work (might also get held by mailman since it would not see the
list name in the header). However if wylug also decided to have an
exim-users list, we would be in trouble since with this single install
configuration you cannot have listname clashes.

However, if you can live with that restriction, then mailman works fine
with exim across multiple domains.

This however basically only applies to the Mailman/exim automagic
configuration where exim sniffs out list existance from the Mailman file
structure. If you are willing to put aliases in for each list you can
fix the lists exists across all domains problem, but the list names must
be unique problem would require a separate install of Mailman per
domain.

[Mailman 2.1 (ie development version) does not as yet address this
problem - if this hurts you then code contributions are gladly accepted]

    Nigel.