Re: [Exim] Exim and IBM DB2

Top Pagina
Auteur: Theo Schlossnagle
Aan: Philip Hazel
CC: Exim Users Mailing List
Onderwerp: Re: [Exim] Exim and IBM DB2
On Monday, December 17, 2001, at 04:37 PM, Philip Hazel wrote:
> But (*without* really knowing much about it) it seems to me that if you
> are running a host on which nobody except yourself logs in (a typical
> mail switch) and on which you therefore have complete control of all
> processes that are run, and how they are run, the risks posed by dynamic
> login accounts for random people.

I have well over 50 such machines (growing every day). Distributing
updates to my Exim systems via propagating a shared module to all of
these servers would be _much_ easier than modifying Exim and
restarting. Also, the code generation and maintenance issue is
simplified tremendously -- I don't have to recompile Exim every time I
make a code change and I don't have to recompile my modules for new
releases of Exim assuming the API is preserved.

> In any event, *if* I add code to Exim, it would be conditional, and have
> to be specially requested at compile time.

Beautiful.

As a thought: the "loadable module" system could have both static and
dynamic options. Apache (and others) have the ability to compile said
modules in during compile time. This might be a nice feature for
individuals who have dlopenphobia.

--
Theo Schlossnagle
1024D/82844984/95FD 30F1 489E 4613 F22E 491A 7E88 364C 8284 4984