Re: [Exim] exim logging to stderr and not logfiles when run …

Startseite
Nachricht löschen
Nachricht beantworten
Autor: Enrico Zini
To: exim-users
Betreff: Re: [Exim] exim logging to stderr and not logfiles when run with -C
On Mon, Dec 17, 2001 at 02:26:07PM +0000, Philip Hazel wrote:

> I deduce that you did not build Exim with EXIM_UID defined, but you have
> set exim_user in the run time configuration. Try rebuilding Exim with
> EXIM_UID defined.
>
> (The point being that, if the exim user calls Exim with -C or -D, it is
> supposed to retain the root privilege. It can't do this if it doesn't
> know who the Exim user is before reading the run time configuration
> file.)

It is correct that EXIM_UID build in the binary is different to the
exim_user set in the config file, but I don't need root privileges with
the secondary configuration, since injecting and queue running are made
by the exim_user set in the config file and no others, and local
deliveries are not made directly but local mail is sent to the main exim
on localhost via smtp. Right now it is working fine just without the
root privilege.

I must also say that I'm quite happy about this privilege dropping, so
that I can be sure that the secondary exim processes are not messing
with the main ones.

Anyway, if there's no way to tell it that the current situation is fine,
I'm recompiling it with the other settings and installing just the
"exim" new binary as /usr/sbin/exim_bulk. I don't really like this
setup, since the secondary exim will have to be upgraded manually from
now on and will not be taken care of by the Debian package management
system, but if it's the only clean way... :(

                Bye, Enrico

--
GPG key: 1024D/797EBFAB 2000-12-05 Enrico Zini <enrico@???>