Re: [Exim] This should be simple but ....

Autor: Phil Pennock
A: Marc Perkel
CC: exim-users
Assumpte: Re: [Exim] This should be simple but ....
On 2001-12-12 at 15:13 -0800, Marc Perkel wrote:
> In the main system filter - how do I get the email address that caused
> the current message to be created (as opposed to the to: and cc: and
> other fields). Is that envelope-to: ???
>
> I tried $h_envelope-to: and it didn't work.

The Exim Specification, "47. SYSTEM-WIDE MESSAGE FILTERING"

-----------------------------< cut here >-------------------------------
The previous chapters describe checks that can be applied to messages before
they are accepted by a host. There are also mechanisms for checking messages
once they have been received, but before they are delivered. If a system
message filter is defined, it is run each time a delivery process is started
for a message. It is also possible to run a centrally-defined filter file once
for each local address, as part of the directing for that address.
-----------------------------< cut here >-------------------------------

There is no "email address that caused the current message to be
created" for the system filter.

As stated, you can use a director, with a filter, instead. An exact
recipe for this is in "47.3 Per-address filtering".

There also seems to be some confusion here as to SMTP data versus mail
headers. The $h_foo: stuff is for mail headers -- see RFC 2822 for
information about those. The SMTP envelope is transport information,
and not part of those headers (but the final delivery might add the
information as two new headers, to aid things like fetchmail(1)). So
$h_foo: won't help there.
--
Upgrade, (n): the replacement of old bugs with new ones.