Re: [Exim] Solving High Load Problem

Etusivu
Poista viesti
Vastaa
Lähettäjä: Jim Knoble
Päiväys:
Vastaanottaja: exim-users
Aihe: Re: [Exim] Solving High Load Problem
--
Circa 2001-Dec-11 10:22:25 -0500 dixit Joseph Kezar:

: We've recently moved from one server to another. The first server
: was running exim 3.33 perfectly for quite a long time now. The new
: server(an identical box) seems to hold on to exim processes every
: now and then. It wont let them go until I run /etc/rc.d/init.d/exim
: stop. This will drop the load from 25 back to <1. Then I start up
: exim with /usr/exim/bin/exim -bd -q1h and all is well for another
: day.
:
: One thing I noticed to be differant from this server to the other is
: the existance of these directories.

: /var/spool/mail/db
: /var/spool/mail/msglog
: /var/spool/mail/input

What operating platform is the new server? Who compiled and installed
exim on the new box? You? Or the operating system vendor? Or someone
else?

It looks as if exim is trying to use /var/spool/mail as it's delivery
queue.

: These directories never existed in this location before. They where
: in /var/spool/exim/db, msglog, input How do I change where exim
: stores these?

It's specified at compile time.

Sounds to me as if you didn't compile exim yourself, otherwise you
would know this.

: My /var/spool/mail is a network block device. I would rather put
: them in /var/spool/exim

That could plausibly account for the tremendously high load, if exim
is trying to do queue runs from a network block device.

: Any ideas?

Recompile and reinstall exim according to your needs?

--
jim knoble | jmknoble@??? | http://www.pobox.com/~jmknoble/
(GnuPG fingerprint: 31C4:8AAC:F24E:A70C:4000::BBF4:289F:EAA8:1381:1491)