Re: [Exim] Exim and Exchange

Author: Dave C.
To: Paul Lyons
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] Exim and Exchange
On Tue, 11 Dec 2001, Paul Lyons wrote:

> Hi,
>
> We have an internal exchange server in our company and our ISP uses Exim
> 3.22. We also have an ADSL connection which is not from our ISP who provides
> our email service.
>
> What I want to be able to do is receive our email over our ADSL line to our

SMTP mail transfer is oblivious of what the physical connection is - it
just makes a connection over a TCP/IP network, wether the connection is
DSL, Ethernet, T1, tin-can-and-string, or carrier pigeon (not kidding,
see RFC 1149)

> internal exchange server. I have given our ISP the IP address of our ADSL
> connection for verification but they still seem to be unable to solve this.
>
> I assume this is possible, can anyone tell me who this can be done?

Do you have a domain name for which you wish to receive mail?

Have you told your Exchange server to consider that domain local (not
sure what the exact mechanics are to that, since I have never used
"Exchange")

Does your server have a publically routable IP address (eg, a real one,
as opposed to an RFC1618 address like 192.168.something..) (Or, if it
does use a private address, you could add a NAT port mapping entry from
a real outside address for port 25 to the private IP)

If 'yes' so far, then:

Set a host *NAME* for the exchange server, and set the lowest numbered
MX record to point to that name.

Whoever does the domain
service for your domain will have to do these:

Eg, in the zonefile:

$ORIGIN yourdomain.com.

mailserver    IN    A    12.34.56.78 ; Use the actual IP
@        IN    MX    10 mailserver.yourdomain.com.

Then the internet will see that host as the MX for your domain, and will
connect to it and deliver mail.

Your mail wont be stored or relayed on any of your ISP servers at all -
it will go through their network as Internet hosts connect to you to
deliver your mail, but thats all.

If you did want your ISP to store and forward your mail, then they will
need to know if/how they support that, and will have to hlp you set that
up with them. If they cant/dont know how to do that, you might consider
switching ISP's, at least for your mail (note that you could keep your
connectivity with them (the DSL line), and use someone else for
mail/DNS)