Re: [Exim] Mailing List Help!!!

Página Principal
Apagar esta mensagem
Responder a esta mensagem
Autor: Jon Kyme
Para: exim-users
Assunto: Re: [Exim] Mailing List Help!!!
>Also I read that if you have a large list to use a thirdparty client ex
>             MajorDomo.  What are the limitations for using exim
>             as a list server???

One significant limitation that we came across (handling a 100k+ recipient opt-in list)
is the delay caused by exim carrying out the routing in a serial manner
(many hours) before any deliveries started.

We're trying bulk_mailer (http://www.cs.utk.edu/~moore/software.html) with a minor hack to
use the real path to our exim binary rather than /usr/sbin/sendmail (or whatever). We split
into batches (of 2000) and get some parallelism going. We're currently tweaking our config
to balance the delivery time against the fearsome hammering that we gave the machine
the first time we tried it ! I've heard that there are questions over the solidity of bulk_mailer
but I haven't had time for a proper look at the source yet. eek.

We're definitely getting the list out A LOT faster; it would be faster still if our list wasn't
polluted with loads of unroutable addresses ('AS ABOVE' and 'a@???' you know the kind of thing).

We're forced to run the mailing list on a machine that also handles a webmail application
so we have two instances of exim (one dedicated to the list -compiled to use a separate
config and spool etc) to try to keep things neat and to help us control the impact of a list run on normal service.

--
all the best to you and yours ...

Get your own FREE local e-mail address at http://www.merseymail.com/