Re: [Exim] 8 bit characters in email addresses

Author: hoh
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] 8 bit characters in email addresses
On 10 Dec, Philip Hazel wrote:

>>     To: =?iso-8859-1?Q?t=2Et=E4uber=40their_domain=2Ese?=

> This is not a legal header, as I read the documents.

This is also my understanding.

> So I believe that the email client has screwed up. If you follow RFC2822
> precisely, there is no way to get 8-bit characters into the local part
> of an address.

The mailer identifies itself as:

Quite old and not something I would use as an email client.

>>     =?iso-8859-1?q?t=2et=e4uber=40their_domain=2ese?=@our_domain.se

> I'm slightly surprised at the lowercasing (Exim 4 doesn't do it, but
> perhaps I screwed up in Exim 3).

I don't have copies of the mail from every part of its route. There is
also a Smail3.1.28.1 that coould have done the lowercasing. The
qualifying had to be Exim as that domain is not known to the Smail
installation.

>> Is there any easy way to detect badly formed email addresses in Exim
>> and reject the email or should the users be modified instead?
>
> This will be easier in Exim 4 where it is easier to do tests on
> incoming mail at SMTP time.

Ok, I'll try to modify the users or their mail clients until I upgrade
to Exim 4.

--
Göran Larsson     hoh.mitt-eget.com