Re: [Exim] Re: (no-spam) Sourceforge and IPv6 Hosts

Autor: Kevin Sindhu
A: Marc MERLIN
CC: exim-users
Assumpte: Re: [Exim] Re: (no-spam) Sourceforge and IPv6 Hosts
Moin Marc!
Marc MERLIN schrieb am Wednesday, den 05. December 2001:
> [postmaster@??? Bcced]

Whew...Ok, so I did send mail to the right person, even if it wasn't
the correct e-mail address.

> All that said, for sourceforge users, we ask if at all possible,
> that you submit a support request on the sf.net web site.

That I didn't know. I'll keep this in mind next time if I have any
problems with sf

> It's also a bad idea to send this both to postmaster@??? and
> the exim users list. All the posts are going to be blocked due to
> addresses not being subscribed.

Ah, I see. The reason I sent this mail to postmaster@ and exim-users@
was to confirm whether the claim I was making was correct or not.
Plus, I wanted some feedback on this from the list as well.

> I've removed postmaster@sf from the Cc line. If you want, you are
> welcome to continue on the exim list or with postmaster@sf depending
> on whether you have exim questions or you are service issues with
> sf.net

That's perfectly fine. I just wanted to get your attention :-). I
wanted to discuss this issue on the exim list as I have faced this
problem a couple of times now(not only sf.net) and was looking at
possible solutions. I knew about your posts to the list but wasn't
sure if you also read postmaster@sf

> > IMHO, the receiving MTA should also check if the sending host does
> > have an AAAA record and not only an A record.

> The exim and the OS on sf.net are not IPV6 fully aware. They
> probably will be at some point, but they aren't yet.

Ah right... But in this case, all they would need to do is check if
the sending host has an AAAA pointer in the DNS.

> That said, it should then fallback to your IPV4 MXes, and it seemed
> to when I ran it in debug mode:

Yup. This is the correct behavior. In case a machine cannot talk IPv6
it sends it to a IPv4 MX which then re-sends it to the IPv6'd host...

> I'd say that whatever issue was there when exim outputted this:

This is weird.. IMO, the error message would be very helpful to
machines which do indeed do something like this. However now if its
suddenly not doing this....umm that's bizarre.

Anyways, what does the sf MTA check here? HELO=$domain string?

> is gone now:

As a possible temporary solution, I've also changed the machines with
IPv6 addresses to actually send all mail to the main mail-hub(in this
case mail.open-systems.org) which should technically fix the problem.

BTW, how are you doing this?

PS - Thanks for such a fast response;-). I was fuming as this mail was
also snubbed by exim-users@ claiming it had suspicious headers...:P

Regards,

    -Kevin

--
Never be led astray onto the path of virtue.