Re: [Exim] Re: Malformed SMTP response

Páxina inicial
Borrar esta mensaxe
Responder a esta mensaxe
Autor: hoh
Para: exim-users
Asunto: Re: [Exim] Re: Malformed SMTP response
On 5 Dec, Chris Thompson wrote:

> You are missing the point: Exim never got to see the 553 because it is
> preceded by a blank line. This is a protocol error, and protocol
> errors are normally taken to be a reason to defer, rather than to
> fail.

What is the reasoning behind this? Is it common for a MTA to have
protocol errors only temporarily, perhaps due to network problems?

> It does seem that Exim could have been clearer in its log that the
> protocol error was in response to a RCPT, even though (because of
> pipelineing) it had got as far as sending DATA.

Agreed. The reasons for the problems as given by Exim is confusing.
After the telnet attempt it is clear that the message from Exim

Malformed SMTP response from mx15.nameplanet.com [62.70.3.45] after DATA:

is about the empty line, but that was not obvious from the beginning.
It seems that Exim properly handles the pipelining but that the
reporting about the empty line wasn't so obvious (to me at least) :-)

--
Göran Larsson     hoh AT mitt-eget DOT com