Re: [Exim] Multiple MySQL databases and hosts

Author: Peter Galbavy
To: Philip Hazel
CC: Ollie Cook, exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] Multiple MySQL databases and hosts
> The *SQL support started out as MySQL support which was then modified
> for PostgreSQL and (for Exim 4) Oracle. The list of servers was intended
> for redundancy purposes. I certainly never thought of people wanting to
> look up different things in different servers, and definitely not in the
> way suggested by the original poster. After all, isn't the whole point
> of a database that you put *all* your data in it?

Er, no - to the last point. For this kind of application (mail) I would
agree it is sensible, but in most organisations data is spread across a wide
variety of platforms. I have always personally detested trying to keep one
central 'mail' database in sync with what happens in 15 other organisation
wide ones (personnel, marketing, production etc.) - but then I never really
implemented a mail system from scratch for that size of place :)

When we leave the mail arena, the spread of data is far more justifyable.

Peter