[Exim] can I use exim filters if I'm not the admin?

Author: dman
To: exim-users
Subject: [Exim] can I use exim filters if I'm not the admin?
I want to try out exim's filter capabilities and compare it to
procmail. The hitch I'm having is that I'm not an admin on the
school's system, so I'm trying to get exim to run just as my user,
using my home directory as the "root" of the fs. I was able to edit
Local/Makefile and build exim, but I get various permission errors.
If I set EXIM_UID and EXIM_GID to my UID and GID, I get

    2001-12-04 21:44:28 16BS2e-0006et-00 Unable to get root to set uid
            3283 and gid 6 for local delivery to dsh8290: uid=3283 euid=3283
    2001-12-04 21:44:28 16BS2e-0006et-00 failed to read delivery
            status for dsh8290@??? from delivery subprocess

in the log.  If I leave out those values, I am told the config file
has wrong owner, group, or mode.  I found where that line is in
readconfig.c, so I tried commenting it out (always the right solution,
right ;-).  I get the same error message when trying to send a file
(such as '/path/to/exim dsh8290 [Enter] message ^D').  If I try to
unfreeze the message, ('/path/to/exim -qff') I get
    exim: permission denied
on the shell, and nothing in the logs.

Is is possible for me to use exim solely for filtering my messages?

-D

                                               -- Dave Parnas