Re: [Exim] Re: about SMTP callback.

Author: James Antill
To: Marc MERLIN
CC: exim-users, Philip Hazel
Subject: Re: [Exim] Re: about SMTP callback.
Marc MERLIN <marc_news@???> writes:

> On Fri, Nov 30, 2001 at 06:54:20PM -0500, James Antill wrote:
> > Mark wrote:
> > > The way this would work is that if the list server runs exim with SMTP
> > > callbacks, it would check the mails as they are posted, add a header saying
> > > that the header from has been checked, and rebroadcast to the list
> > > subscribers
> > >
> > > List subscribers would then be encouraged to not do callbacks if the special
> > > header is there.
> >
> > And spammers would be encouraged to include it by default ?
>
> 1) Spammers too dumb  to have incorrect from headers will  probably not know
>    about a callback avoidance header

A lot of them have started putting junk (or non-existant @aol.com)
addresses in their from/env from and they just use the fact that it's
html and the reciever will click on a link/load an img etc.

> 2) Exim could  be configured to know  that some sites you  receive mail from
>    can do callbacks, and only honor the header if it comes from one of those
>    sites (and you could set callback_checked_header_honor = *) to accept all
>    of them as long as spammers aren't setting it.

Do many places have mail from the mailing list machine come from the
same as the one their users mail from ? I wouldn't have thought so,
but then I'm sure yahoo or someone will prove me wrong.
At which point a ! and their machine in the callback options would do
it (although it's still manual and I'm not sure how many would be
bothered).

--
# James Antill -- james@???
:0: