Re: [Exim] Redirecting mail to a Maildir subdirectory

Author: Greg Ward
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] Redirecting mail to a Maildir subdirectory
On 30 November 2001, Derek Broughton said:
> Not at all. This is exactly correct for the courier-imap server
> (courier-popd, too, for that matter). It uses Maildir for INBOX, and then
> when you create a subordinate folder it creates it exactly as a new
> Maildir-format directory (complete with tmp, cur and new) but named .subdir.
> That's one reason why I specifically would like it to fall through to the
> existing delivery if the subdirectory doesn't exist - I want the user to
> create it via the MUA (and implicitly by courier-imap), which ensures it's
> in the correct format.

Ah, so Maildir-within-Maildir. Neat, I like it. I think. Sound
sensible at any rate.

> Who's dictating? Considering what you've posted about what your system
> rejects...

;-) You must be confusing me with Greg *Woods*.

> I'm offering my users (both of them!) a simple filtering system. It's
> specifically _for_ emails like this - so that if you subscribe to a list
> that adds [...] in the subject, you can choose to create a special folder
> for it. Or not.
>
> I'm not a system administrator, I'm a tinkerer who's having some fun.

Well in that case go right ahead and have some fun. I wouldn't
automatically sort mail based on the subject for a site with more than
two users, or with users who aren't living with/married to the sysadmin,
but for your case it's probably harmless.

Hope my example helps --

        Greg
--
Greg Ward - software developer                gward@???