Re: [Exim] FreeBSD ports for Exim documentation

Páxina inicial
Borrar esta mensaxe
Responder a esta mensaxe
Autor: Sheldon Hearn
Para: Philip Hazel
CC: Dave C., Johann Visagie, exim-users
Asunto: Re: [Exim] FreeBSD ports for Exim documentation

On Fri, 30 Nov 2001 13:44:54 GMT, Philip Hazel wrote:

| > It seems silly to me to install a plaintext version of the spec when
| > we're already installing the info file.
|
| Can you grep the info file? Or load it as one text into a text editor?

Yes.

| I suspect not, since it is in fact a whole collection of files.

What makes you say that? It's a single file.

| Grepping and scanning in a text editor are, IMHO, extremely useful ways
| of finding information. Indexes and TOCs are never perfect.

Well the fact that the file contains indexing information doesn't mean that
it can't be searched for with grep or vi. I'd suggest that anyone who
wants to comment on the usefulness of info files in this regard try to
use them for this purpose first. :-)

Basically, we have a large number of precedents for the use of info
files in the base system, and I see no reason other than "I don't know
how to use info files" to break from the existing convention.

Good grief, how did the FreeBSD users complaining about this ever get to
learn how to use readline, CVS, the linker (ld), the debugger (gdb),
regular expressions, diff and patch and many other core components of
the base system?!

Ciao,
Sheldon.