Re: [Exim] Unknown local recipients

Author: Philip Hazel
To: Gary Mason
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] Unknown local recipients
On Thu, 29 Nov 2001, Gary Mason wrote:

> I am using Exim 3.33. I would like all emails to addresses that are not set
> up with mailboxes to create the standard 'unknown recipient' email message
> and send it to the postmaster. I have followed the instructions in FAQ
> Q0403 but all I get is frozen messages in the outbound queue. Is this
> documented anywhere else, or can someone point me in the right direction.

Q0403 routes unknown addresses to a central server, not to a specific
address.

To do what you want, you must allow the address to fail, but on the way,
change its "errors address" so that the bounce goes to the postmaster.
If you put this director last, it should do the job. However, I have not
tested this, so it may not be absolutely right.

unknown_to_postmaster:
driver = forwardfile
data = $local_part@$domain
errors_to = postmaster

What this does is to "forward" the address to itself, but change the
place where the bounce message is sent. The child address will then be
re-processed, but the second time round it will skip this director
because it has already handled it. So the address fails and the bounce
should go to the postmaster.