Re: [Exim] Exim retry issues

Author: Philip Hazel
To: Darren Greer
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] Exim retry issues
On Tue, 27 Nov 2001, Darren Greer wrote:

> Here is my current setting:
> *                      *           F,1h,15m;

> My question is this. Accourding to the above it should retry for 1hr every 15m and
> then fail. However, it is not doing so. Now, I made this change after I already
> had some failures in my queue, and they are still in there. Do I have something
> wrong, or are those e-mail files tied to the old configuration. If so, is there a
> way to force them to the new rules?

Exim won't recalculate old retry times for existing addresses when you
change the rules. If you want to force a delivery attempt for every
message in your queue, run

exim -qff

Any that fail will then pick up the new retry rule. However...

Unless you are in a strange situation, I would not recommend throwing
away mail after just one hour. Hosts are regularly down or unreachable
for much longer than that.