[Exim] Exim 4 alpha release: please test!

Startseite
Nachricht löschen
Nachricht beantworten
Autor: Philip Hazel
To: exim-users, exim-announce
Betreff: [Exim] Exim 4 alpha release: please test!
Here it is, folks, the first alpha release of Exim 4:

ftp://ftp.csx.cam.ac.uk/pub/software/email/exim/Testing/exim-3.951.tar.gz
ftp://ftp.csx.cam.ac.uk/pub/software/email/exim/Testing/exim-3.951.tar.bz2

As you can see, it calls itself "Exim 3.951". I have also put copies of
the documentation in non-ASCII formats (PostScript, PDF, Texinfo and HTML)
in the same ftp directory:

ftp://ftp.csx.cam.ac.uk/pub/software/email/exim/Testing/exim-html-3.951.tar.gz
ftp://ftp.csx.cam.ac.uk/pub/software/email/exim/Testing/exim-pdf-3.951.tar.gz
ftp://ftp.csx.cam.ac.uk/pub/software/email/exim/Testing/exim-postscript-3.951.tar.gz
ftp://ftp.csx.cam.ac.uk/pub/software/email/exim/Testing/exim-texinfo-3.951.tar.gz

and also in the .bz2 forms. The manual is a few pages shorter than the
previous edition. I think this indicates that I have succeeded in making
some things simpler.

This version of Exim has been running for over a week on one of our
systems, so it isn't entirely broken. However, there have been very,
very many code changes since Exim 3.33. It is ALPHA software, so please
treat it as such. It is certain that I have broken things over the last
10 months that I have been working on this. Please report any problems
that you encounter. There are no doubt also errors and typos in the
documentation. Please report them too.

The underlying functionality of Exim 4 is not changed very much, but the
top-level interface to it is very different to Exim 3. Directors and
routers are merged, and input policy control is by Access Control Lists
instead of a slew of separate options.

You will need to convert your run time configuration and understand a
bit about the new ways of doing things. Then you'll need to run some
tests. Don't expect to install this in 10 minutes. The place to start
reading is the file called doc/Exim4.upgrade.

Philip