Re: [Exim] Mail problem

Etusivu
Poista viesti
Vastaa
Lähettäjä: Dave C.
Päiväys:
Vastaanottaja: Matthew Byng-Maddick
Kopio: exim-users
Aihe: Re: [Exim] Mail problem
On Sat, 24 Nov 2001, Matthew Byng-Maddick wrote:

> On Fri, Nov 23, 2001 at 12:46:29PM -0500, Dave C. wrote:
> > While theoritically using the user@[ip.ad.re.ss] format is technically
> > valid, it is a terribly archaic manner of addressing, and should be
> > obsoleted, if it isnt officially already, at least on the public
> > Internet. No mailhost I run will ever accept that as a sender or
> > recipient address, local or remote.
>
> Then you are in breach of the RFCs.

> MUST be accepted, as must

Oh indeed not! Fully qualified addresses with domains only, thank you.
We dont accept mail for hosts, only for domains. Which of the several
thousand domains that we host postmaster would you like to send to?

I do recall something about their must be a postmaster address at every
_domain_ that one runs mail for, but nothing like you mention. Do you
have a reference for these requirements (as a curiosity only, so I know
which one to reference as I write a new one obsoleting it)

As someone previously mentioned, site policies are not dictated by RFC.
Especially RFCs from decades ago that took no account of the
current nature of the Internet.