Re: [Exim] TCP service "smtp" not found

Top Pagina
Auteur: Gerrit P. Haase
Aan: Julian King
CC: exim-users
Onderwerp: Re: [Exim] TCP service "smtp" not found
Hallo Julian,

Am 2001-11-24 um 17:28 schriebst du:

>> $ exim -bd -d2
>> Exim version 3.33 debug level 2 uid=1040 gid=1041
>> Berkeley DB: Sleepycat Software: Berkeley DB 3.1.17: (July 31, 2000)
>> Caller is an admin user
>> Caller is a trusted user
>> LOG: 0 PANIC DIE
>> cannot find smtp/tcp service

> From daemon.c:

>     if ((smtp_service = getservbyname("smtp", "tcp")) == NULL)
>       log_write(0, LOG_PANIC_DIE, "cannot find smtp/tcp service");

> So the problem is that getservbyname is failing.
> The only other place that function call appears seems to be readconf.c
> which is what causes your other error message.

Well this needs some investigation now.

However, the second error (TCP service "smtp" not found) is resolved
now, I changed the /etc/services, but the file looked up was the
/etc/services in the WINNT sytem directory, after I changed this too
it works ok. if Exim runs in daemon mode with -oX 25 flag.

Many thanks to Jerry Jorgenson who gave me the hint that there should
be no spaces in /etc/services.

> I don't know Cygwin, so I don't know if this function has been
> implemented however assuming it hasn't, which seems to be the
> case then it shouldn't be too hard to emulate it.

It should be there, it compiles ok.
I'll see.

> However, as far as I am aware there are other aspects to exim which
> are likely to cause far more grief during a port. In particular
> the filesystem semantics are I believe significantly different.

That is completely under the control of Cygwin and it as it is 'real'
unix filesystem;)

Ciao,

Gerrit P. Haase                            mailto:gp@familiehaase.de
--
=^..^=
This mail was transported by Exim on Cygwin;)