Re: [Exim] sender_verify when DNS comes down....

Góra strony
Autor: Patrick von der Hagen
Dla: exim-users
Temat: Re: [Exim] sender_verify when DNS comes down....
On Wed, Nov 21, 2001 at 05:33:33PM +0100, Tamas TEVESZ wrote:
> On Wed, 21 Nov 2001, Patrick von der Hagen wrote:
>
> > Most important: the receiver couldn't be checked, probably because the
> > connection couldn't be established. Shouldn't exim give a 4xx error instead
> > of 5xx?
>
> or maybe the difference between receiver_verify and
> receiver_try_verify

From the specification about receiver_verify:
If an address is invalid, an incoming SMTP call gets an error response to
the RCPT command. If an address cannot immediately be verified, a temporary
error code is given.

But since mail acctually bounced a situation which I would define as
"address cannot immediately be verified" either a) the sending MTA is broken
and interpreted a 4xx as 5xx or b) Exim interpreded this situatin as
"verification failed" and returned 5xx.

So according to the specs, this behaviour is rather unexpected.

--
CU,
Patrick.