Re: [Exim] double check DNS

Páxina inicial
Borrar esta mensaxe
Responder a esta mensaxe
Autor: Dave C.
Para: Exim Users Mailing List
CC: Matthew Byng-Maddick
Asunto: Re: [Exim] double check DNS
On Mon, 19 Nov 2001, Greg A. Woods wrote:

> [ On Monday, November 19, 2001 at 15:22:02 (-0500), Dave C. wrote: ]
> > Subject: Re: [Exim] double check DNS
> >
> > MANY, MANY legitimate hosts on the internet are not configured to give a
> > HELO string that matches any hostname that corrosponds to any IP
> > address..
>
> Dave exaggerates -- it's not that many actually.... There are a few
> notorious examples, such as hotmail.com, and a bunch of backwater NT
> systems, but the vast majority get the HELO/EHLO greeting name right.

That actually _matches_ the forward and reverse lookup of their IP
address? You must be on a different Internet than I am... Add to those
NT systems all the Novell junk, all the Mac based MTA's, lots of
firewalled systems, lots of systems that just 'mail.domain.com', but
their IP address is somethign entirely different..

Not that I'm complaining, just pointing out that HELO is essentially a
useless piece of data anymore. The only thing it could possible have
been used for was the obsolete TURN command.....