Re: [Exim] double check DNS

Inizio della pagina
Autore: Peter Radcliffe
Oggetto: Re: [Exim] double check DNS
Derek Broughton <dbroughton@???> probably said:
> I've got no problem with that...

I do.

> So where exactly is the problem? If his free-roaming host uses its
> own smtp server (he's obviously never been behind some of the
> firewalls I use - you get out through _their_ smtp server or not at
> all), he can always HELO with the IP.

That's why in practice my laptop sends mail with TLS/SMTP AUTH to a
high port on a mail server that I run. I don't trust random mail
servers. My laptop generates a HELO with a valid name that can be used
to reach me, if I rejected that from my mail server it'd be, well,
dumb.

Also in practice I see a lot of perfectly legitimate mail that doesn't
have matching source IP and HELO. I can't say I care. I know what IP
address it's coming from - I can see from the connection information -
why do I need that information again in HELO ? I don't.

P.

--
pir                pir-sig@???                 pir-sig@???