Re: [Exim] Retry Rules and Mailing Lists

Páxina inicial
Borrar esta mensaxe
Responder a esta mensaxe
Autor: Philip Hazel
Para: Ephraim Silverberg
CC: Exim Mailing List
Asunto: Re: [Exim] Retry Rules and Mailing Lists
On Mon, 19 Nov 2001, Ephraim Silverberg wrote:

> We want to have the option of having messages sent to mailing lists only
> be attempted once for each address on the list and not retried or kept in
> the queue (the list maintainer would get the error message with the list
> of failed addresses).
>
> The natural way to try and do this is by "Retry Rules"; however, the retry
> rules are designed to be triggered by individual recipient addresses and not
> the mailing-list-burst sender address. Is there any way of altering the
> retry rule behaviour to do what I want?

I'm afraid not.

Is it really sensible? Just because somebody's host happens to be down
for a few minutes (every host has to reboot sometime), or is unreachable
(every network connection goes down from time to time, sometimes for
only a few seconds), you throw away mailing list mail destined for that
host? Seems rather harsh to me.

Keeping mailing list mail on the queue for a shorter than usual time, on
the other hand, does seem a plausible thing to do. Unfortunately, Exim
can't do that either. Retrying is based purely on destination, not on
source.