Re: [Exim] Relaying at ISP SMTP - ANSWERED

Páxina inicial
Borrar esta mensaxe
Responder a esta mensaxe
Autor: Matthew Byng-Maddick
Para: exim-users
Asunto: Re: [Exim] Relaying at ISP SMTP - ANSWERED
On Sun, Nov 18, 2001 at 07:42:37PM -0500, Richard Welty wrote:
> On Mon, 19 Nov 2001 02:42:11 +0200, Chris Knipe wrote:

[>>Chris snipped the attribution of me writing:]
> >> In some roundabout way, there may be, after all that handshaking is the
> >> TCP establishment, and there may be IP based relay controls, in which
> >> case, the TCP session's source address will be in the handshake and
> >> therefore some determination of whether the host on the other end of the
> >> connection can relay.
> >No offence, but you need help I think... IP numbers has just about zero to
> >do with routing email. You're getting confused between TCP/IP Routing and
> >Mail routing here I believe. Two completely different things, and works
> >completely different aswell...
> yep, TCP has nothing to do with this.

I didn't say it had anything to do with Paul's problem. My comment was that
you can decide during the port 25 TCP handshake whether or not you are
going to allow relaying, because you may have entirely IP address based
relay rules. It would generally not be sensible to do any kind of check
until you actually decide whether something is a "relay" or a "local
delivery" of some sort.

The acronym IRMTA => I reply merely to annoy, should really have given this
away.

> dynamic assignment of mail relays is the subject of a number of IETF
> drafts from various and sundry zero configuration efforts; none have
> ever gotten very far, not even, i think, to the first leg of the
> standards track.

I'm not convinced that dynamic allocation of smarthosts is a particularly
good idea, though web proxies would be a nice thing to be able to
automatically allocate. I can certainly see a DHCP field for smarthosts
being used by people for opportunistic mail abuse.

> what Paul is describing simply doesn't exist in any standards based
> environment that i'm aware of.

Or the rest of us. :-)

> Paul has already been given the clues he needed to solve his problem;
> unfortunately, he's already made up his mind and isn't listening.

Indeed.

MBM