Re: [Exim] transferring a mailbox to anopther machine

Góra strony
Autor: Leonardo Boselli
Dla: exim-users
Temat: Re: [Exim] transferring a mailbox to anopther machine
On 17 Nov 2001, at 14:55, Volker Philippent wrote:
> The answer may be as simple as your question:
> a) why don't you just try to copy the complete mailbox file? If both machines
> are in your own network, this should be no problem. Ok, there is no filering of
> your mails.

There were a few problems (beside filtering) since i had also to
merge with exixting mailboxes.
> b) Try using pine to move the messages:
> Set it up to enable select/zoom/bounce commands and aggregate-command-set,
> point the smtp-server entry to the destination machine, and then simply open
> the mailbox with pine.
> Select the messages you want to replicate, use apply/bounce and pine will
> tranfser the selected messages to the new smtp-server.

I tried on the first time but the imap server hogged after a few
hundreds messages. And if I have to transfer a lot of messages by
hand some hundreds at a time ...
> You see, this is no special exim problem, and your problem is solved with the
> usage of application programs.

Infact ... i had another suggestion, to use the -s of formail, that i did
not found on the first 2 readings of the man pages ... so i was able
to do:
cat oldmbox | formail -s /usr/sbin/exim new@address

Thankjs for the two fellows that pointed to shis little "s" !
Leonardo Boselli
nucleo informatico e telematico
Dipartimento Ingegneria Civile
Universita` di Firenze