Re: [Exim] Relaying at ISP SMTP

Góra strony
Autor: Paul M Foster
Dla: exim-users
Temat: Re: [Exim] Relaying at ISP SMTP
On Sun, Nov 18, 2001 at 02:44:05AM -0500, Tabor J. Wells wrote:

> On Sun, Nov 18, 2001 at 01:49:30AM -0500,
> Paul M Foster <paulf@???> is thought to have said:
>
> > I'm attempting to convert from sendmail to exim. All local mail should
> > be delivered locally. All non-local mail should go to my ISP for relay.
> > My ISP domain is quillandmouse.com. Under sendmail, mail sent to my ISP
> > for relay was fine. But under Exim, my ISP's SMTP server won't relay it.
> > Below are the relevant dialogs, sendmail compared to exim. Note that the
> > connection for sendmail specifically states that the smarthost is being
> > contacted for relay, whereas the exim connection doesn't. Can anyone
> > tell me how to make Exim tell my ISP's SMTP server to _relay_ the mail?
> >
> > =================== sendmail SMTP dialog =======================
> >
> > foster@???... Connecting to smtp.quillandmouse.com via relay...
> > 220 agamemnon.cnchost.com ESMTP [ConcentricHost SMTP Relay 1.14] ready
> at Thu, 8 Nov 2001 23:40:50 -0500 (EST)
>
> > SMTP<< 220 zealous.cnchost.com ESMTP [ConcentricHost SMTP MX 1.27]
> ready at Thu, 8 Nov 2001 23:41:53 -0500 (EST)
>
> Notice that you're connecting to two different servers here, one of which
> appears to be configured as an outbound relay for you and one which is
> apparantly one of Concentric's inbound MX's and will only handle mail for
> the domains it knows about.

Concentric has many inbound mail servers, and I connect to
smtp.quillandmouse.com. Concentric then hands it off to whatever server
is available. I'm betting that _any_ of them will relay, depending on
how you talk to them. There has to be something in the conversation that
says "relay this stuff", but I can't see how to make Exim say that.

Paul