[Exim] Virus Scanning with mailhubs

Αρχική Σελίδα
Συντάκτης: Mike Richardson
Ημερομηνία:
Προς: exim-users
Αντικείμενο: [Exim] Virus Scanning with mailhubs
Hi,

We've currently got 4 mailhubs running Exim. These pass mail onto a whole
load of different back end systems (unix, netware, exchange). We want to do
virus scanning of all incoming and outgoing mail with as little disruption
to config of the mailhubs as possible. They don't have the power or
resources to scan the volume of mail we handle.

I'm familiar with exiscan and amavis and would like to use exiscan
with Sophos or McAfee to achieve this.

Ideally I'd like to be able to build machines specifically for scanning a
mail queue. The mailhubs would redirect all mail to the virus scanners which
do their job and return any clean mails to the mailhubs for delivery.
Delivering the mails directly using the virus machines would cause us some
problems.

   ^

=======         =========

| Hub |<=====| Virus |
|     |      | Scan  |
|     |=====>|       |

=======      =========
   ^

Am I asking the impossible here? If not then what sort of config do I need
for the Hub and Virus Scan machine?

I'm guessing that I could specify the Virus Scan machine as the remote_smtp
destination, and the Hub as the remote_smtp's destination but to prevent
loops I'd have to add a 'scanned-ok' header to the mail by the Virus Scanner
and check for it on the Hub.

Is this a good way? Any better ones or ones likely to work?

Thanks

Mike

--
-----Plain text only please - attachments stripped on arrival.------
Copyright 2001       Mike Richardson, Room G98, Manchester Computing