Re: [Exim] unwanted mutiple emails

Top Pagina
Auteur: Philip Hazel
Aan: Matthew Byng-Maddick
CC: exim-users
Onderwerp: Re: [Exim] unwanted mutiple emails
On Fri, 9 Nov 2001, Matthew Byng-Maddick wrote:

> <<< 354 Send data followed by <CRLF>.<CRLF>

> At this point, the receiving end must attempt to spool or deliver the
> message. It will then return
> <<< 250 Accepted id=...
>
> If the sender times this out, the message may well have been delivered, but
> the receiver never gets a chance to tell it, so the sender *has* to assume
> that it hasn't.
>
> I can't remember offhand which variable this is in Exim, but I find the
> default timeouts to be sensible and not to cause this to happen in general.

The final timeout default value is 10 minutes.

The original poster said that "customers were receiving multiple
copies". However, I don't think we know whether this is because his Exim
is *receiving* the message multiple times, or *sending* the message
multiple times.

If it's timing out when receiving, the relevant option is
smtp_receive_timeout, defaulting to 5 minutes.