[Exim] A beginners confusion ....

Página superior
Eliminar este mensaje
Autor: Gary Mason
A: exim-users
Asunto: [Exim] A beginners confusion ....
I'm very new to Linux mail, having come from a M$ background. My SuSE Linux
server initially ran sendmail but I installed Exim 3.33 yesterday. I
compiled the source, created an Exim executable, and copied that to
/usr/sbin/sendmail. In theory, whenever I restart sendmail, Exim kicks in
instead. I have checked by telnet'ing to port 25 and confirming that it
does say Exim and not sendmail.

My confusion comes with the fact that the process table shows the sendmail
line, as expected, but still includes the old sendmail command line options
-bd -q15m -om. If I change the sendmail configuration file in
/etc/rc.config, then these changes appear when I restart the sendmail run
script. Does Exim still use the sendmail configuration file as well as it's
own configuration file, or am I doing something very wrong here.

The reason I ask is that when I send emails, whether to local or remote
domains, they always get sent straight away. I wanted local emails to be
delivered immediately, but remote emails to wait until the q15m forced a
send. I am sure that the sendmail configuration file is set up correctly to
do that (SENDMAIL_EXPENSIVE = YES and SENDMAIL_LOCALHOST set to my local
host name).

Please let me know what files are really being used. I am happy enopugh to
try and work out the Exim configuration from the FAQ's if it over-rides any
sendmail settings.

---
Gary Mason
Renaissance Technical Services