FW: [Exim] RH7.2 packages of Exim 3.33-4 and What this mail…

Página superior
Eliminar este mensaje
Autor: Karl Schmidt
A: Exim \(E-mail\)
Asunto: FW: [Exim] RH7.2 packages of Exim 3.33-4 and What this mail list is for
Actually, exim.conf was originally in the /etc/exim directory. The
originator of the package I started with, moved it into /etc (why I don't
know) - I just moved it back where it belongs. If I automatically move it,
will I just end up confusing someone else? On the other hand, if you feel
strongly enough about this to script it, I'll put it in the next one.
BTW, I see /etc/exim as the place to put databases and lists that are called
from Exim. I also set up a subdirectory called /etc/exim/secure for SLL
certs. I'm thinking in the next package I might set up some links in
/etc/exim; one pointing to a top HTML page that will link to all docs,
another pointing to /var/spool/exim and a third one pointing to
/var/log/exim
My 2 cents worth about "What this mail list is for". While the documentation
is pretty good, those of us who came on board recently, don't have the
background of the earlier Exim users. It is well known that the best
documentation is rarely written by the author of the software; it is hard to
describe the forest when you are deep in the trees. I think Mr. Hazel has
done an excellent job considering he is the author of the software.
What IS missing are 'in context' conf examples that tie the documentation
together (this flaw is not exclusive to Exim documentation). It took me more
than 8 hours to get tls working. An example conf would have turned that into
15 minutes. The only way I was able to figure out what was wrong, was by a
note by a similarly frustrated sole on a Debian site. I don't think I had a
hard time because I'm stupid.
Instead of putting effort into getting a jolly out of putting down someone
who didn't find or understand a certain line out of a large amount of
complex documentation, why not write some material to help the newcomers?
Of course, dissing strangers it is a lot easier than writing about a
complex topic with clarity. I suppose some think it shows quite a lot of
sophistication and courage to drop the insulting RTFM on folks you've never
met.

Karl Schmidt (ks150)     EMail Karl@???
Transtronics, Inc.       WEB http://xtronics.com
3209 West 9th Street     Ph(785) 841-3089
Lawrence, KS 66049       FAX(785) 841-0434