著者: Philip Hazel
To: Jim Savoy
CC: exim-users
題目: Re: [Exim] Re: More ORBZ and Mail Woes
On Tue, 6 Nov 2001, Jim Savoy wrote:

>                 I saw that in the book, on page 539 (on the topic
> of "expansion variables") there is a disclaimer regarding the
> $domain variable. I don't quite understand it though. It reads:

>    "... if all the addresses that are being handled simultaneously
>     contain the same domain, it is placed in $domain. Otherwise
>     this variable is empty during delivery."

> I am not sure if that means it is risky for me to rewrite quoted
> addresses using $domain (eg my goal is to change
> "relay@??? into relay@???@uleth.ca
> before attempting delivery.

Apologies. That wording in the book is unclear. When it says "during
delivery", it really means "during transporting". That is, when a
transport is running. When a director or router is running, $domain is
always set to the domain of the address it is handling.

> Can you give me an example of
> when "all the addresses being handled simultaneously" do *not*
> contain the same domain?

Example: A mail is addressed to a@??? and x@??? and it turns out that
both b.c and y.z have MX records pointing to the same host. Unless you
set max_rcpt small, these two addresses will be handled in one run of
the smtp transport, using one copy of the message with two RCPT
commands.