Re: [Exim] Retry rules not applied: Exim 3.33 + Cyrus 2.0.16…

Autor: Philip Hazel
A: Rodger Duffett
CC: exim-users
Assumpte: Re: [Exim] Retry rules not applied: Exim 3.33 + Cyrus 2.0.16 with LMTP delivery
On Fri, 2 Nov 2001, Rodger Duffett wrote:

> Retry rules are:
> *.uct.ac.za     quota
> *                      *           F,2h,15m; G,16h,1h,1.5; F,4d,8h

> A message sent to an overquota user produces the following output in the
> logs:
> 2001-11-02 11:19:28 15zZxH-000ESW-00 == imaptest_its_main_uct@???
> <imaptest@???> T=local_by_lmtp defer (-1): LMTP error after end of
> data: 452 4.2.2 Over quota
>
> The retry database then holds data for this user such as:
> T:imaptest_its_main_uct@??? -1 0 LMTP error after end of data:
> 452 4.2.2 Over quota
> 02-Nov-2001 11:30:32 02-Nov-2001 12:02:24 02-Nov-2001 12:17:24
>
> My understanding of the retry rule is that it should be bounced
> immediately???

No, sorry Rodger. The "quota" error is when Exim detects an over-quota
problem when it is writing to a local mailbox. This error is not that.
It is a temporary LMTP response from Cyrus. Exim cannot tell that it is
anything to do with a quota.

What you need to do is to make Cyrus return a 5xx code instead of a 4xx
code if you want this bounced immediately.

> A related problem that I havn't had time to research properly is that the
> general retry rule does not appear to be applied either. I end up with
> messages on the queue older than 4d and need to manually remove them.

Are they frozen? If so, look at timeout_frozen_after, auto_thaw, and
ignore_errmsg_errors_after.