Re: [Exim] exim-newbie needs your advice

Top Pagina
Auteur: Mario Müller
Aan: exim-users, bhoc
Onderwerp: Re: [Exim] exim-newbie needs your advice
thank u 4 replying

> On Wed, 31 Oct 2001, Mario Mueller wrote: 16:49:50 +0100
> Subject: [Exim] exim-newbie needs your advice
>
> > normally on a lan, is exim running on every machine, or only on the
> > "mail-computer"?
>
> Usually:
> If you have 'decent' MUAs (mail user agents, commonly known as 'Outlook'
> or 'Eudora' or 'Netscape Messenger' etc. etc) on the PCs in your LAN,
> there's no need for multiple MTAs (mail transport agents, such as exim).
> You set up a mailserver in a similar way as you'd set up a file server.
> Have each client's mail program point to your_mailserver as the SMTP (and
> probably your_mailserver as the POP3 server, if you have installed pop3).

but what happens in this case with local mail? all the users in the lan
would still have to have an account on the exim-machine, wouldn't they?

> Then, have your mailserver use your ISPs mailserver as smarthost (not
> necessary, as exim could distribute the mail directly; but when smarthost
> works fine, don't change it).

i only have a dynamic ip-address, could exim still deliver directly?

> If you want to have multiple exims in your lan, then you must send mail to
> 'user@???' instead of 'user@???' - otherwise exim
> (i.e. every mailserver) wouldn't have the faintest clue where to ship that
> message if there were no 'user' account in the PC exim is sitting in.

i tried this, but if i tell exim, that all computers with domain mylan.net
are to be considered local, it searches only on the computer it's sitting on
for a user by that name, it wouldn't come to exims mind, to send the email
to the other computer.

in the case of multiple exims, what do i specify as local domains in
exim.conf? *.mylan.net or just thiscomputer.mylan.net (localhost)? is the
other computer on the lan to considered local? i would guess so, since if a
recipient is not considered local, it's being sent to the smarthost.

> Drop me a mail if you need the same yadda yadda in german... ;-)

yadda in english is fine, thank you.