Re: [Exim] Exim Build under SCO Openserver 5.0.6

Αρχική Σελίδα
Συντάκτης: Philip Hazel
Ημερομηνία:
Προς: Frank S. Bernhardt
Υ/ο: exim-users
Αντικείμενο: Re: [Exim] Exim Build under SCO Openserver 5.0.6
On Wed, 31 Oct 2001, Frank S. Bernhardt wrote:

> 1) How do I know or can I tell what libraries I need to make something like
> exim or any other package? Where should these libraries come from and where
> should they be placed (/usr/lib, /usr/local/lib, ...)?

Unfortunately, the answer to this question is "it depends on your
operating system". There seem to be a lot of different variations.

When I am close to releasing a major new version of Exim, I try to
compile it on as many OS as I can. For this purpose, people have given
me accounts on various systems that I do not normally use for anything
else. Usually, I find that Exim "just builds". This means one of two
things: Either (a) these systems come with everything that's needed or
(b) their managers are clued-up, and have installed the stuff needed for
building software from source. I don't know which is the right answer!

> Is there a document/book explaining all this?

There must be books on Unix software development matters.

> Sorry if I seem frustrated, I am. Although exim built clean, I would like to
> know what I did to get it to build cleanly. There has to be a science to it.

It's a black art!